Re: Linux vs FreeBSD - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Achilleas Mantzios
Subject Re: Linux vs FreeBSD
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/04/2014 15:05, Alban Hertroys wrote:
> Although it is getting a bit specific, would you care to elaborate why you would advice strongly against using ports
orpackages for Postgres on FreeBSD? Because that’s a rather strong statement
> you’re making and so far the only argument I’ve seen is that there is no port for pl/java. I’m curious as to why you
areso strongly set on custom-compiling Postgres. BTW, isn’t the usual solution
> to a missing port to create your own (local) port? I can’t claim I have ever done that (never needed to), but
apparentlythat’s the way to go about it. The obvious benefit is that it will fit in
> with the package management system, while you could even provide the port to others if you’d be willing to take
responsibilityfor maintaining that port.

pl/java has nothing to do with this. The argument against using packages/ports for postgresql
upgrades, is that upgrades in general involve :
- reading HISTORY thoroughly and understanding every bit of it, especially the migration part,
and the changes part
- backing up the current database
- installing the new binaries
- running pg_upgrade
- solving problems that pg_upgrade detects and trying again
- testing your in house C/Java/etc... functions
- testing your whole app + utilities against the new version

Now, tell me, how much of this can the /usr/ports/databases/postgresqlXX-server port can do?
Would you trust the system to do this for you in an automated maybe weekly  pkg upgrade task
that would handle e.g. cdrecord and postgresql-xxx in the same manner ?

Now about writing ports, i can say to you this is a PITA. Its a great concept, but you must truly
commit to having a part of your life slot maintaining the port you submitted. This could be fun at first,
but in the long run, this is not easy.

> Fair enough.

You are welcome :)

--