Re: New gTLDs available / how to protect the PostgreSQL brand - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From damien clochard
Subject Re: New gTLDs available / how to protect the PostgreSQL brand
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

>     Meanwhile is it possible to have some more information about the PGCAC
>     association ? Who's involved in it ? How people can help ? etc. Maybe a
>     page on the PostgreSQL wiki ?
>

> They have a website at http://www.postgres.ca/.

That's the information I was looking for thanks !

However the big question remains : how do we protect the other domains ?
We've acquired a bunch of strategic new gTLDs but the ICANN will
continue to release new ones almost every week. Full released list here :

http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/delegated-strings

My understanding is that they will release approx 1500 gTLDs over the
next 2 years. Again we don't need to acquire every single new gTLDs but
some of the release should be protected. Specifically I'm thinking of
.community, . expert, .consulting which should be available publicly soon.

How do you go on with this ? Does PGCAC has the ability to make a list a
.gTLD that should be acquired ? Show we discuss the list here first ?

As PGCAC holds the PostgreSQL trademarks, it has access to the
"defensive phase" of the release process, also called "Sunrise". This
means PGCAC can be warned by email when someone wants to buy a new
postgresql.whatever domain and then has a few days to acquire it in
priority.

Of course DALIBO can continue to monitor the new release of strategic
PostgreSQL gTLDs but we will be far less efficient than the trademark
holder itself.

If that's helpful, I can try to reach some folks at GANDI, the main
French domain name registration service. They're very
PostgreSQL-friendly (they're hosting the postgresql.fr platform) and may
provide some help with the sunrise mode.

See :
http://www.gandibar.net/post/2013/10/29/The-launch-of-the-new-gTLDs