Re: New gTLDs available / how to protect the PostgreSQL brand - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: New gTLDs available / how to protect the PostgreSQL brand
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi Damien,

On Apr 10, 2014, at 5:49 AM, damien clochard <damien@dalibo.info> wrote:

> However the big question remains : how do we protect the other domains ?
> We've acquired a bunch of strategic new gTLDs but the ICANN will
> continue to release new ones almost every week. Full released list here :
>
> http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/delegated-strings
>
> My understanding is that they will release approx 1500 gTLDs over the
> next 2 years. Again we don't need to acquire every single new gTLDs but
> some of the release should be protected. Specifically I'm thinking of
> .community, . expert, .consulting which should be available publicly soon.

I agree with most of this - it is important to protect the PostgreSQL digital brand.  However, I would make a notable
exceptionfor some of the commercially oriented ones (e.g. .expert .consulting) as many of the companies that provide
directsupport for the PostgreSQL community would be appropriately branding themselves with those names.

With that said, I would not just want *any* company to purchase those names, but the PostgreSQL-focused companies that
aretrusted by the company.  For instance, if Dalibo bought "postgresql.consulting" and decided to use it for itself, I
personallywould not have a problem for that given all the time and money Dalibo has given to the community.

However, I do have a potential compromise where I can see both sides benefitting:

    * Commercially focused gTLDs are initial bought by the community
    * Community holds a charitable auction among verified companies for specific domain names
    * Proceeds from auction are donated to one of the PostgreSQL nonprofits

That way, we (a) protect the brand, (b) ensure that there is an appropriate representative of the PostgreSQL brand and
(c)raise money that can be used for advocacy, if not development efforts.

Best,

Jonathan