Re: Any way to insert rows with ID used in another column - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Any way to insert rows with ID used in another column
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/06/2014 05:30 AM, Francisco Olarte wrote:
> Hi Adrian:
>

> On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 2:30 AM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>> Still think this is something for a BEFORE INSERT TRIGGER:
>
> I think a trigger is overkill for just a simple data-combining
> procedure. JMO, but I prefere to reserve triggers for htings which
> need them.

Well the flip side to that argument is that a trigger is a single point
of reference for the data changing. You can hit the table from wherever
and whatever and have the same thing happen. No wrestling with ORMs to
get database specific code to run. No tracking down where the query is
that is munging the data. Not saying one approach is inherently better
than the other, just that there are options.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com