Re: SSD Drives - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Boreham
Subject Re: SSD Drives
Date
List pgsql-general
It would be useful to know more details -- how much storage space you
need for example.

fwiw I considered all of these issues when we first deployed SSDs and
decided to not use RAID controllers.
There have not been any reasons to re-think that decision since.
However, it depends on your specific
needs I think. We prefer to think in terms of a single machine as the
unit of service failure -- a machine
is either working, or not working, and we ensure state is replicated to
several machines for durability.
Therefore a storage solution on each machine that is more reliable than
the machine itself is not useful.

In our deployments we can't max out even one SSD, so there isn't
anything a RAID controller can
add  in terms of performance, but your case could be different.

You might also want to consider the power dissipated by the RAID
controller : I was quite surprised by how much heat they generate, but
this was a couple of years ago. Possibly there are lower power
controllers available now.

You need the capacitor on the SSD -- a RAID controller with BBU will not
fix a non-power-fail-safe SSD.