Re: Spring JDBC and the PostgreSQL JDBC driver - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matthew Chambers
Subject Re: Spring JDBC and the PostgreSQL JDBC driver
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/04/14 10:22, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 4/3/2014 1:31 PM, Matthew Chambers wrote:
>> This removes all the boilerplate associated with old style JDBC.  It
>> also means you get great reuse of your SQL code since the transaction
>> starts at the entry point.  Most of my SQL related code is just 1
>> liners using Springs JdbcTemplate class.  I've written some massive
>> applications with this style.  My current postgres project sees about
>> 4gbps of traffic during peak times and there is not an explicit
>> begin/commit in the entire code base.
>
> so how does the OP use Jdbc4Array.getArray()  on an object returned
> from a Spring execute if Spring has automagically released/closed the
> connection?

Well, you wouldn't be calling Jdbc4Array.getArray() anywhere in your
code where you don't have a connection, you would be doing that where
the connection is active. The connection doesn't go away until the
function that checked the connection out returns.  Assuming you have a
ResultSet object you can do this:

String[] arrayOfStrings= (String[])
resultSet.getArray("col_name").getArray();

To put data into an array field, you have to use a
PreparedStatementCreator which gives you access to the
java.sql.Connection, so you can call "createArrayOf" from that.

    jdbc.update(new PreparedStatementCreator() {
             public PreparedStatement createPreparedStatement(final
Connection conn) throws SQLException {
                 final PreparedStatement ret =
conn.prepareStatement(UPDATE_TAGS);
                 ret.setObject(1, conn.createArrayOf("text", tags));
                 ret.setObject(2, id);
                 return ret;
             }
         });