Re: SSD Drives - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Boreham
Subject Re: SSD Drives
Date
List pgsql-general
While I have two friends who work at FusionIO, and have great confidence
in their products, we like to deploy more conventional SATA SSDs at
present in our servers. We have been running various versions of Intel's
enterprise and data center SSDs in production for several years now and
couldn't be happier with their performance. The oldest in service at
present are 710 series that have been subjected to a ~500wtps PG load
7*24 for the past 28 months. They still show zero wearout indication in
the SMART stats.

As others have mentioned, power-fail protection (supercap) is the thing
to look for, and also some sort of concrete specification for drive
write endurance unless you have made a deliberate decision to trade off
endurance vs. cost in the context of your deployment.