Re: COPY v. java performance comparison - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: COPY v. java performance comparison
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/02/2014 02:04 PM, Rob Sargent wrote:
> On 04/02/2014 02:36 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 04/02/2014 01:14 PM, Rob Sargent wrote:
>>> On 04/02/2014 01:56 PM, Steve Atkins wrote:

> Well indeed there are copious LOG/HINT pairs along the lines of
>
>     LOG:  checkpoints are occurring too frequently ([8 <= n <=29]
>     seconds apart)
>     HINT:  Consider increasing the configuration parameter
>     "checkpoint_segments".
>
> and these are during non-load periods.  During the COPYs I see
> uncountable numbers of
>
>     WARNING:  pgstat wait timeout
>
> As you guys have probably already concluded, I have some config/tuning
> to do.

At a guess some of the problem comes from here:

"The input file and postgres data are on separate disks, but only one
controller."

Have you tried moving the input file to the same disk as the server, to
factor out the controller?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com