Re: Postgres as In-Memory Database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Yeb Havinga
Subject Re: Postgres as In-Memory Database?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2014-04-01 04:20, Jeff Janes wrote:
On Sunday, March 30, 2014, Stefan Keller <sfkeller@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Jeff

2013/11/20 Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>

I don't know what you mean about enhancements in the buffer pool.  For an in-memory database, there shouldn't be a buffer pool in the first place, as it is *all* in memory.

You are right: In-memory DBs are making buffer-pooling obsolete - except for making data persistent (see below).

I would be very reluctant to use any database engine which considered disk access obsolete.

The disk is not obsolete but something called 'anti-caching' is used:
http://www.vldb.org/pvldb/vol6/p1942-debrabant.pdf

Are there any show cases out there?

What did the HANA users have to say?  Seems like they would be in the best position to provide the test cases.

This paper provides some insights into the research behind HANA http://www.sigmod09.org/images/sigmod1ktp-plattner.pdf

regards
Yeb