Re: pgsql: Allow opclasses to provide tri-valued GIN consistent functions. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: pgsql: Allow opclasses to provide tri-valued GIN consistent functions.
Date
List pgsql-committers
On 03/31/2014 12:25 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2014-03-31 10:31:00 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> On 03/23/2014 06:07 PM, Greg Stark wrote:
>>> On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com

>>> If we're not using the enum type perhaps it would be better to make it a
>>> bunch of #defines? The main advantage of enum types is that the debugger
>>> knows what values are legal and can decode them for you.
>>
>> Yeah, I think you're right. Changed it to use #defines, renamed the typedef
>> to GinTernaryValue as that's more descriptive, and added a brief comment
>> mentioning that a GinTernaryValue is compatible with a boolean.
>
> It doesn't matter much in this case, but in general I find the reasoning
> here less than convincing. For one, debuggers have a much easier time
> providing the symbolic name (e.g. p WHATEVER_ENUM_VAL) than purely
> defines. Also, it's perfectly possible to switch to the enum in
> switch()es, and benefit from compiler warnings. Using defines prohibits
> that...

Yeah, I could've gone either way on this case. The enum wasn't actually
used anywhere, the typedef was, so debugger wouldn't have been able use
the enum values. Same for switch warnings, unless you explicitly cast to
the enum type. It seems pretty unlikely that you would remember to do
the cast, but forget to handle one of the three values. If there was any
chance that we would add more values to the enum in the future, a cast
in a switch would be useful to catch places where we forgot to handle
the new value, but we're not going to add more values to this enum.

- Heikki