Re: progress report for ANALYZE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuro Yamada
Subject Re: progress report for ANALYZE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Alvaro!

>> Hmmm... I understand your opinion but I'd like to get more opinions too. :)
>> Do you prefer these column names? See below:
>
> Here's my take on it:
>
>   <Columns of the view>
>    pid
>    datid
>    datname
>    relid
>    phase
>    sample_blks_total
>    sample_blks_scanned
>    ext_stats_total
>    ext_stats_computed
>    child_tables_total
>    child_tables_done
>    current_child_table_relid
>
> It seems to make sense to keep using the "child table" terminology in
> that last column; but since the column carries an OID then as Robert
> said it should have "relid" in the name.  For the other two "child
> tables" columns, not using "relid" is appropriate because what they have
> is not relids.
>
> I think there should be an obvious correspondence in columns that are
> closely related, which there isn't if you use "sample" in one and "heap"
> in the other, so I'd go for "sample" in both.

Thanks for the comment.
Oops, You are right, I overlooked they are not relids..
I agreed with you and Amit's opinion so I'll send a revised patch on the next mail. :-)

Next patch will be included:
  - New columns definition of the view (as above)
  - Renamed the phase name: s/acquiring inh sample rows/acquiring inherited sample rows/
  - Update document

Thanks,
Tatsuro Yamada