Re: 8.0 beta 1 on linux-mipsel R5900 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 8.0 beta 1 on linux-mipsel R5900
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> On the count-the-number-of-CPUs patch, what sort of coverage are you
>> expecting to get?

> I haven't yet seen a platform that doesn't provide some means to get the
> # of CPUs, but I suppose there might be one...

It might be worth exposing the CPU count as a GUC variable.  This would
* make it easy to check on the results of the counting patch;
* make it easy to override the patch, if it's wrong on some platform;
* make it easy to experiment to see whether the spinlock behavioral change actually matters ;-)

But this may be overkill.