Introducing walctl, a simple tool for safe WAL management - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Introducing walctl, a simple tool for safe WAL management
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello again,

Now that the open-source floodgates have been opened, I've been prepping
a couple of our applicable projects. This time, I've added this:

https://github.com/peak6/wallctl

It is a very simple PostgreSQL WAL management system that pushes or
pulls WAL files from a remote central storage server. It can be used to
fully replace archive_command or restore_command in handling WAL
archival or recovery.

It's designed to basically force WAL storage on a system that isn't a
master or standby server. The primary reasoning is that clusters may
have several replicas, so why expect the master to service all of them?
Master systems push WAL files to the remote archive, and slaves pull
from it; done.

It sets up each newly created clone as a streaming replica. In case of
disconnection, it uses restore_command to fetch the remote WAL files to
keep the slaves current. Something of a poor-man's self-healing.

Anyway, give it a look. I'll be the one looking over pull requests, so
if you have some improvements, I'd be glad to see them.

Later!

--
Shaun Thomas
312-676-8870