Re: HEAD seems to generate larger WAL regarding GIN index - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: HEAD seems to generate larger WAL regarding GIN index
Date
Re: HEAD seems to generate larger WAL regarding GIN index  (Jesper Krogh <jesper@krogh.cc>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 03/15/2014 08:40 PM, Fujii Masao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I executed the following statements in HEAD and 9.3, and compared
> the size of WAL which were generated by data insertion in GIN index.
>
> ---------------------
> CREATE EXTENSION pg_trgm;
> CREATE TABLE hoge (col1 text);
> CREATE INDEX hogeidx ON hoge USING gin (col1 gin_trgm_ops) WITH
> (FASTUPDATE = off);
>
> CHECKPOINT;
> SELECT pg_switch_xlog();
> SELECT pg_switch_xlog();
>
> SELECT pg_current_xlog_location();
> INSERT INTO hoge SELECT 'POSTGRESQL' FROM generate_series(1, 1000000);
> SELECT pg_current_xlog_location();
> ---------------------
>
> The results of WAL size are
>
>      960 MB (9.3)
>    2113 MB (HEAD)
>
> The WAL size in HEAD was more than two times bigger than that in 9.3.
> Recently the source code of GIN index has been changed dramatically.
> Is the increase in GIN-related WAL intentional or a bug?

It was somewhat expected. Updating individual items on the new-format
GIN pages requires decompressing and recompressing the page, and the
recompressed posting lists need to be WAL-logged. Which generates much
larger WAL records.

That said, I didn't expect the difference to be quite that big when
you're appending to the end of the table. When the new entries go to the
end of the posting lists, you only need to recompress and WAL-log the
last posting list, which is max 256 bytes long. But I guess that's still
a lot more WAL than in the old format.

That could be optimized, but I figured we can live with it, thanks to
the fastupdate feature. Fastupdate allows amortizing that cost over
several insertions. But of course, you explicitly disabled that...

- Heikki