Re: Can't restart statistics collection and autovacuum - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ignacio Colmenero
Subject Re: Can't restart statistics collection and autovacuum
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks Tom.
The database had been up for 6 months now with no problems at all so, according to your comment, it was a change that became current when the server was rebooted. I need someone to help me out with the server rules to find out what's wrong (or different) with that.
Regarding the server reboot, our server is hosted by Rackspace and, for some reason it ran out of memory, and they rebooted it; that's something I also need to check out, but that's for another post.

Thanks.

On 14/03/2014 1:13 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Ignacio Colmenero <ignacio.colmenero@abracontrols.com> writes:
Yesterday, the database server was rebooted and database wasn't shut
down properly.
When it went back online, the following messages showed up:
2014-03-13 08:46:08 UTC   LOG:  08006: test message did not get through
on socket for statistics collector
The only known reason for that to happen is kernel packet filtering rules
that prevent passing traffic through the stats-collector socket.  It seems
very unlikely that this "just happened" without somebody/something outside
Postgres actively breaking it.  I'd take a close look at recent system
configuration changes, particularly in the firewall area.  It wouldn't
hurt to know exactly *why* the system was rebooted, too.

Ignacio Colmenero
Database Analyst
Abra Controls Inc.
P# (403) 775-2237