Re: problem with trigger function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: problem with trigger function
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/06/2014 04:08 PM, Susan Cassidy wrote:
> I'm having a problem with a trigger function.  I've been googling for
> over an hour, with no luck with my specific problem.
>
> I get this error:
> ERROR:  missing FROM-clause entry for table "new"
> LINE 1: insert into metric_double_values_201203 values (NEW.metricID...
>                                                          ^
> QUERY:  insert into metric_double_values_201203 values (NEW.metricID,
> NEW.sourceID, NEW.timestamp, NEW.value, NEW.datetimeval)
> CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function metric_double_insert_func() line 8 at
> EXECUTE statement
>

>  From this trigger function:
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION metric_double_insert_func()
> RETURNS TRIGGER AS $$
>    DECLARE insert_sql text;
> BEGIN
>       insert_sql:='insert into metric_double_values_' ||
> to_char(NEW.datetimeval,'YYYYMM') || ' values (NEW.metricID,
> NEW.sourceID, NEW.timestamp, NEW.value, NEW.datetimeval)';
>      EXECUTE insert_sql using NEW;
>      RETURN NULL;
> END;
> $$
> LANGUAGE plpgsql;

The basic problem is here:

insert_sql:='insert into metric_double_values_' ||
to_char(NEW.datetimeval,'YYYYMM') || ' values (NEW.metricID,
NEW.sourceID, NEW.timestamp, NEW.value, NEW.datetimeval)';

in particular:

  ' values (NEW.metricID,...'

You are quoting the NEW values which Postgres then interprets as values
coming from the table new as new.metric_id, etc.

You need to use the parameter placeholders,$1, $2, etc. See here for
some examples:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/plpgsql-statements.html#PLPGSQL-STATEMENTS-EXECUTING-DYN

40.5.4. Executing Dynamic Commands

--