Re: plpgsql.warn_shadow - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: plpgsql.warn_shadow
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 03/04/2014 03:40 PM, Joel Jacobson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 8:04 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>> Lots of code quite correctly relies on this,
>> including some I have written.
> I really cannot see when it would be a good coding practise to do so,
> there must be something I don't understand, I would greatly appreciate
> if you can give a real-life example of such a PL/pgSQL function.

I can't give you one because it's not mine to share. But I can tell you
a couple of ways I have seen it come about.

One is when a piece if code is re-used in another function which happens
to have a parameter name which is the same. Another is when translating
some code and this is the simplest way to do it, with the least effort
involved.

If I am writing a piece of green fields code, than like you I avoid
this. But the vast majority of what I do for people is not green fields
code.

In any case, it's not our responsibility to enforce a coding standard.
That's a management issue, in the end, not a technological issue.

cheers

andrew