Re: jsonb and nested hstore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/27/2014 11:02 PM, Christophe Pettus wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2014, at 9:59 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't find that very reassuring.
>
> Obviously, we have to try it, and that will decide it.
>
>> I don't understand why an extension is seen as not befitting
>> of a more important feature.
>
> contrib/ is considered a secondary set of features; I routinely get pushback from clients about using hstore because
it'snot in core, and they are thus suspicious of it.  The educational project required to change that far exceeds any
technicalwork we are talking about here..  There's a very large presentational difference between having a feature in
contrib/and in core, at the minimum, setting aside the technical issues (such as the extensions-calling-extensions
problem).

> We have an existence proof of this already: if there was absolutely no difference between having things being in
contrib/and being in core, full text search would still be in contrib/.

This is an old and currently false argument. It is true that once upon a
time, contrib was a banished heart, weeping for the attention of a true
prince. Now? Not so much. She is a full on passion flower with the
princes of all the kingdoms wanting her attention.

Joshua D. Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc