Re: jsonb and nested hstore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date
Re: jsonb and nested hstore  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com>)
Re: jsonb and nested hstore  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/27/2014 01:56 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> I don't understand why you'd consider it to be a matter of shoehorning
> jsonb into hstore (and yes, that is what I was suggesting).

Because the course Andrew is following is the one which *this list*
decided on in CF3, no matter that people who participated in that
discussion seem to have collective amnesia.  There was a considerable
amount of effort involved in implementing things this way, so if Hackers
suddenly want to retroactively change a collective decision, I think
they should be prepared to pitch in and help implement the changed plan.

One of the issues there is that, due to how we handle types, a type
which has been available as an extension can never ever become a core
type because it breaks upgrading, per the discussion about hstore2.  For
better or for worse, we chose to make json-text a core type when it was
introduced (and XML before it, although that was before CREATE
EXTENSION).  This means that, if we have jsonb as an extension, we'll
eventually be in the position where the recommended json type with all
the features is an extension, whereas the legacy json type is in core.

However, we had this discussion already in November-December, which
resulted in the current patch.  Now you and Robert want to change the
rules on Andrew, which means Andrew is ready to quit, and we go another
year without JSON indexing.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.