Re: Long paths for tablespace leads to uninterruptible hang in Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Long paths for tablespace leads to uninterruptible hang in Windows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/14/2014 10:57 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Jan  7, 2014 at 12:33:33PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:

>> Further update on this issue:
>>
>> Microsoft has suggested a workaround for stat API. Their suggestion
>> is to use 'GetFileAttributesEx' instead of stat, when I tried their
>> suggestion, it also gives me same problem as stat.
>>
>> Still they have not told anything about other API's
>> (rmdir, RemoveDirectory) which has same problem.
>
> Where are we on this?  Is there a check we should add in our code?

This is fascinating - I spent some time chasing the same symptoms in my
Jenkins build slave, and eventually tracked it down to path lengths. gcc
was just hanging uninterruptibly in a win32 syscall, and nothing short
of a reboot would deal with it.