Re: Advise on how to install pl/perl on existing DB. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alan Hodgson
Subject Re: Advise on how to install pl/perl on existing DB.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2020-05-26 at 12:32 -0400, David Gauthier wrote:
psql (9.6.0, server 11.3) linux

Hi:
I'm a PG users who has asked our IT team to install pl/perlu on an existing 9.6.0 instance on linux.  They really don't know how to approach this.  Could someone point me to a good step-by-step  (including ptrs to any downloads they may need) ?

Also, when they do this, will it require DB downtime ?

Thanks in Advance !

a) that says your server is running 11.3, not 9.6 (you might want to update your own machine).

b) That really depends on how it was installed.

If they used a normal package repo they'll just want to install the postgresql11-plperl package or equivalent, and then restart PostgreSQL (although I'm not actually sure the restart is required?) and then do a "CREATE EXTENSION plperlu;" in your database.

If they did some kind of custom installation then they might need to just figure it out.