Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2/11/14, 7:04 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
>> I don't see any use for that with plperl, but it might be a valid thing
>> to be doing for (e.g.) hstore.dll. Though you can't really link to it
>> from another module anyway, you have to go through the fmgr to get
>> access to its symbols at rutime, so we can probably just skip generation
>> of import libraries for contribs and PLs.
>
> There are cases where one module needs symbols from another directly.
> Would that be affected by this?

Yes, in that you cannot link directly to another DLL on Windows (without
hoop jumping and lots of pain), you link to the import library. So if we
don't generate an import library then (eg) MyExtension cannot link to
hstore.dll . It can still look up function exports via the fmgr.

As concluded upthread, it's easier to just generate import libraries for
everything since we need it for the client library, so nothing's going
to change anyway.