Re: Bloated tables and why is vacuum full the only option

From: Tomas Vondra
Subject: Re: Bloated tables and why is vacuum full the only option
Date: ,
Re: Bloated tables and why is vacuum full the only option  (Claudio Freire)
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Bloated tables and why is vacuum full the only option  (Claudio Freire, )
 Re: Bloated tables and why is vacuum full the only option  (Tomas Vondra, )
  Re: Bloated tables and why is vacuum full the only option  (Claudio Freire, )
   Re: Bloated tables and why is vacuum full the only option  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: Bloated tables and why is vacuum full the only option  (Claudio Freire, )
  Re: Bloated tables and why is vacuum full the only option  (Claudio Freire, )
 Re: Bloated tables and why is vacuum full the only option  (Sergey Konoplev, )
  Re: Bloated tables and why is vacuum full the only option  (Claudio Freire, )
   Re: Bloated tables and why is vacuum full the only option  (Sergey Konoplev, )
 Re: Bloated tables and why is vacuum full the only option  (Jeff Janes, )

On 7.2.2014 19:47, Claudio Freire wrote:

> Question is... why isn't all that free space being used? The table
> grows in size even though there's plenty (65%) of free space.
>
> I've got autovacuum severely crippled and that could be a reason, but
> I do perform regular vacuum runs weekly that always run to completion.
> I also do routine reindexing to stop index bloat on its tracks, yet
> freshly-reindexed indexes get considerably reduced in size with vacuum
> full.

Are you logging autovacuum actions? I.e. what is

    log_autovacuum_min_duration

set to? It it's set to -1 you won't get any messages because of
conflicting locks or stuff like that, which might be the culprit here.

Also, when you're running the weekly VACUUM, do VACUUM (VERBOSE) and
post it here. That might at least help us eliminate some of the usual
suspects.

regards
Tomas