Re: jsonb and nested hstore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/05/2014 01:10 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 02/05/2014 12:48 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>>> If we do that we're going to have to live with that forever, aren't we?
>> Yeah, but the other side of that coin is that we'll have to live forever
>> with whatever binary format we pick, too.  If it turns out to be badly
>> designed, that could be much worse than eating some parsing costs during
>> dump/restore.
>>
>> If we had infinite time/manpower, this wouldn't really be an issue.
>> We don't, though, and so I suggest that this may be one of the better
>> things to toss overboard.
>>

> The main reason I'm prepared to consider this is the JSON parser seems
> to be fairly efficient (See Oleg's recent stats) and in fact we'd more
> or less be parsing the binary format on input anyway, so there's no
> proof that a binary format is going to be hugely faster (or possibly
> even that it will be faster at all).
>
> If anyone else has opinions on this sing out pretty darn soon (like
> the next 24 hours or so, before I begin.)

I got a slightly earlier start ;-) For people wanting to play along,
here's what this change looks like:
<https://github.com/feodor/postgres/commit/3fe899b3d7e8f806b14878da4a4e2331b0eb58e8>

I have a bit more cleanup to do and then I'll try to make new patches.

cheers

andrew