Re: jsonb and nested hstore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/05/2014 03:45 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>> The time for this discussion was months ago. I would not have spent many
>> many hours of my time if I thought it was going to be thrown away. I find
>> this attitude puzzling, to say the least. You were a major part of the
>> discussion when we said "OK, we'll leave json as it is (text based) and add
>> jsonb." That's exactly what we're doing.
> certainly. I'll shut my yap; I understand your puzzlement.  At the
> time though, I had assumed the API was going to incorporate more of
> the hstore feature set than it did.

And we will. Specifically the indexing ops I mentioned upthread. We've
got done as much as could be done this cycle. That's how Postgres
development works.

One of the major complaints about json in 9.3 is that almost all the
functions and operators involve reparsing the json. The equivalent
operations for jsonb do not, and should accordingly be significantly
faster. That's what I have been spending my time on. I don't think
that's an inconsiderable advance.

cheers

andrew