Re: The timezone oddities - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: The timezone oddities
Date
List pgsql-general
On 02/04/2014 12:09 PM, Sergey Konoplev wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 02/04/2014 11:23 AM, Sergey Konoplev wrote:
>>> Gentoo Linux, PostgreSQL 9.2.4.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to find out why postgres uses a specific time zone that I
>>> don't expect to be used, and without any success so far. The situation
>>> seems strange to me, but I could probably miss something.
> [...]
>> Does the below apply?:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/26874.1391127434@sss.pgh.pa.us
>
>> 1. You ran initdb in a different environment than you normally start the
> server in.
>
> No, AFAIK it was always the same server with the same environment.
>
>> 2. You blindly copied the 9.1 postgresql.conf into the 9.3 installation,
> overwriting what initdb had done.  If there's no uncommented timezone
> setting in the .conf file, 9.3 will fall back to GMT, IIRC.  But that
> approach to configuration has a lot of pitfalls besides this one.
>
> No, It was initially 9.2, no major version upgrades were performed.
>
>> In any case the fix is to set the zone you want in postgresql.conf.
>
> I think this will be the solution, but it would be very good if we
> could find out the reason too.

So the postgresql.conf is the one created by initdb for this particular
installation?

If that is the case it would seem that initdb could not determine what
the timezone is at init. I do not use Gentoo so I do not know how it
works with timezones. All I can do is point you at the below.:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Localization/HOWTO

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com