Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT
Date
Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/04/2014 11:30 AM, Andres Freund wrote:

>> We have details on how to build with Mingw/Msys on Windows on an Amazon
>>
>> VM <http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Building_With_MinGW> which is
>> either
>> free or very cheap. Do I need to give instructions on how to do this
>> for
>> MSVC builds too? It's really not terribly hard.
> Err. It might not be very hard but it certainly is time consuming. And that for people not caring about windows.
>
> If there were usable, regularly refreshed, instances out there'd it'd be slightly less bad. But this still by far the
mostannoying and intrusive platform to care about.

If someone volunteered to pay for the storage, I'd be prepared to make
some time to create an AMI to reduce the startup time dramatically.
Basically it would be "boot the AMI and start testing your patches". I'd
even make it as friendly as possible for people who don't like to get
too far from unix-ish environments.

cheers

andrew