Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On February 4, 2014 5:06:52 PM CET, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

>On 02/04/2014 10:43 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>variable.
>MainLWLockArray.
>>> There's not that much lwlock usage in contrib. It's just
>>> pg_stat_statements and pg_buffercache. Neither has tests... So it
>very
>>> well could be that breakage simply hasn't been observed.
>> Hm, you're right --- I'd have thought there were more of those.
>>
>> Ugh.  This problem was bad enough when I thought that it would only
>lead
>> to link-time errors detectable in the buildfarm.  If it can lead to
>errors
>> only observable at runtime --- and maybe not obvious even then ---
>then
>> I think we *have to* do something about it.  By that I mean that we
>must
>> get rid of the need to manually plaster PGDLLIMPORT on global
>variables.
>>
>> Anybody with a Windows build environment want to test the "#define
>extern"
>> trick?
>>

>We have details on how to build with Mingw/Msys on Windows on an Amazon
>
>VM <http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Building_With_MinGW> which is
>either
>free or very cheap. Do I need to give instructions on how to do this
>for
>MSVC builds too? It's really not terribly hard.

Err. It might not be very hard but it certainly is time consuming. And that for people not caring about windows.

If there were usable, regularly refreshed, instances out there'd it'd be slightly less bad. But this still by far the
mostannoying and intrusive platform to care about.

Andres

--
Please excuse brevity and formatting - I am writing this on my mobile phone.