Re: PostgreSQL specific datatypes very confusing for beginners who use wrappers around JDBC - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: PostgreSQL specific datatypes very confusing for beginners who use wrappers around JDBC
Date
List pgsql-general
On 1/28/2014 2:35 PM, Mike Christensen wrote:
> This works.  However, to agree with the original poster's point, if
> Postgres could be a little more forgiving about values that could be
> interpreted as correct (like an implicit cast between numeric and enum
> and string and enum) then we wouldn't have these issues..

it had more implicit casts prior to (I think) 8.3, but there were many
ambiguities where things could be interpreted to mean radically
different sorts of operations, so they tightened things up in 8.3+ (or
was it 8.4+ ?)