Re: BUG #8771: Query execution plan broken after upgrade from 9.1.9 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Martin Junek
Subject Re: BUG #8771: Query execution plan broken after upgrade from 9.1.9
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi Tom,
thanks for the explanation. However, it sounds like a terrible side
effect of the change you mentioned. Also in this example the function is
not volatile.
Couple more questions:
- why it works as expected when I use " where id in (50000)" and does
not work if used "where id in (select 50000)"? Will it still work that
way in the foreseeable future?
- why the function gets executed when the column is not in the select
list at all? i.e. when I use "select id from...."?

re "optimizing the slow function" - this example is very simplified just
to demonstrate the problem (so the function is intentionally slow). In
our case it's a big view containing tens of subqueries. The view would
contain many records but we only need 50 (=one page of results) so our
query was designed to evaluate all the subqueries only for the 50
records. Now if we upgrade to 9.1.11... you see the problem.

In our case there's a workaround (split the query into two separate
queries), but it just feels wrong. I'm also surprised that other users
haven't encountered this issue.

I'd appreciate if you reconsider this to be a bug in the query optimizer.

Thanks for your help.
Martin.

On 11/01/14 14:32, Tom Lane wrote:
> martin.junek@tracmap.co.nz writes:
>> after upgrading from 9.1.9 to 9.1.11 one of our queries started to run
>> terribly slow (went from few miliseconds to hours). The problem is better
>> explained in the following SQL snippet (which is a very simplified version
>> of the problem). If you run it on 9.1.9, all the SELECTs evaluate in few
>> miliseconds, if you run it on 9.1.11, it will take probably hours (I didn't
>> have the patience to wait for it).
> I believe this is a result of this 9.1.11 change:
>
>    * Avoid flattening a subquery whose SELECT list contains a volatile function wrapped inside a sub-SELECT (Tom
Lane)