Re: Reliably backing up a live database - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tanstaafl
Subject Re: Reliably backing up a live database
Date
List pgsql-novice
On 2013-04-15 5:36 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:
> I've been using the command:
>
> pg_dumpall --username=username -o -f mydb_backup.sql.gz

Ok, please correct me...

I had thought the above command would result in a gzipped database dump,
due to the .gz extension.

Obviously, this was a dumb assumption.

I just tried to extract it, and got an error, but renaming the file to
remove the .gz at the end (so it is just .sql) gives me a text file that
loads just fine and I can see all the DB data, so obviously the file is
not .gz compressed.

Reading man pg_dump lead me to believe that I needed to add the -Fc flag
to the above command - but, I don't see anything about what type of
compression it uses... will it be .gz? How do I specify (ie, .gz, .gz2

But...

Trying the above failed with an invalid option, an a quick man
pg_dumpall reveals that there is no -F option...

So, is it possible to get a gzipped (or otherwise compressed) dump using
pg_dumpall?