Re: Pg makes nonoptimal choice between two multicolumn indexes with the same columns but in different order. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: Pg makes nonoptimal choice between two multicolumn indexes with the same columns but in different order.
Date
In response to Re: Pg makes nonoptimal choice between two multicolumn indexes with the same columns but in different order.  (Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com>)
List pgsql-performance
On 29/12/13 10:03, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Michael Kolomeitsev <mkolomeitsev@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> it is clear for me why t1_b_a_idx is better. The question is: Is
>> postgresql able to see that?
> For a number of reasons I never consider a bulk load complete until
> I run VACUUM FREEZE ANALYZE on the table(s) involved.  When I try
> your test case without that, I get the bad index choice.  When I
> then run VACUUM FREEZE ANALYZE on the database I get the good index
> choice.
>
> There may be some lesser maintenance which sets up visibility
> information and provides the planner with enough data to make a
> good choice, I just noticed that you were not following what I
> consider to be rote good practice, tried it, and it solved the
> problem.
>
> --
> Kevin Grittner
> EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Curious: Would it be feasible to do some kind of ANALYZE during a bulk
operation?  Say if you could tell the system you expected to change 20%
of the records in advance: then you could sample some of the changes and
modify the statistics with 0.2 times that plus 0.8 of the pre-existing
statistics.

BEGIN BULK OPERATION CHANGE 20%
[... several transactions ...]
END BULK OPERATION

The sampling could be done as part of the individual operations or at
the end of the bulk operation - whichever is deemed more practicable
(possibly a bit of both?).

Cheers,
Gavin