Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/27/2013 01:56 PM, Joseph Kregloh wrote:
>     FYI, some testing showed that playing around with spclocation in
>     pg_tablespace is not recommended.
>

> Do you happen to have more information about this? Because it would
> actually solve all my problems by moving the user created tablespaces
> out of the /data directory. But I would like more information on the
> subject before even thinking about it anymore. I did it a couple times
> for testing purposes. I modified the spclocation in pg_tablespace and
> then move the folder.

Well as a general idea manually altering system catalogs is a bad idea.
I just did some quick tests on something that was not as complex as your
setup and for me it did not go well. I could make changes, but when I
tried to use the tablespaces I got all sort of errors. Could be just me,
still this is a path into deep dark places, you are warned:)

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com