Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/23/2013 06:45 AM, Joseph Kregloh wrote:

>     And /usr/local/pgsql was re-initdbed  with a 9.0 cluster, because
>     previously it was the 9.3 cluster?
>
>     And you are sure /usr/local/bin has the 9.3 binaries?
>
>     Personally I would say at this point the relationships between
>     versions are so confused it would seem best to start from scratch.
>
>     My suggestions:
>
>     1) Create a new jail with a copy of the test 9.0 cluster located in
>     /usr/local/pgsql.
>
>     2) In that jail install a new 9.3 cluster using the --prefix= switch
>     to configure to have it install in a different location in the jail.
>
>     3) Use pg_upgrade.
>

> Before every test I do a ZFS rollback which resets all data on the disk
> back to the last snapshot. So essentially every time it's dealing with a
> new install.

And that has been repeatably proven not to work:) I was suggesting to go
back even further and do not start from the snapshot, but start from a
totally new installation where both instances are in the same jail.

However I will give a try your suggestions that you had in
> your next email (I can see into the future) and report back.

Great, let me know what the answer is:)

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com