Re: Installed postgres.app 9.3.1.0. pgadmin doesn't appear to see it - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Installed postgres.app 9.3.1.0. pgadmin doesn't appear to see it
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/18/2013 09:36 PM, Bob Futrelle wrote:
> I uninstalled 9.2 before installing 9.3.1.0.
>
> The app is called Postgres93, it is version 9.3.1.0
> I downloaded the latest pgAdmin, it is pgAdmin3 version 1.18.1
>
> I have a database "MiniServer" which is supposed to use postgres
> as its Maintenance database.
> But there is no such database.
>
> Perhaps it can't find the DBs that were there?
>
> pg_upgrade requires
>
> pg_upgrade-boldbindir-Bnewbindir-dolddatadir-Dnewdatadir [option...]
>
> but I'm not sure what the 'old' values should be (since I uninstalled
> 9.2 - maybe I shouldn't have?)
>
> In my /Library/PostgreSQL/9.2/data/global I see 42 files fom 8K to 25K
> in size, most created
> last March - my data must be there.  So that may be telling me to create
> an empty folder,
>   /Library/PostgreSQL/9.3/
>
> In my Postgres93 bundle there's a Contents/MacOS/postgres, a small unix
> executable.
> Is that the binary?   But again there's no binary for 9.2.
> I was rolling along with 9.2 getting lots of good work done via
> Eclipse/JDBC.
> But now I'm stuck.
>
> Sorry for being so dense. But I've never been afraid to ask questions.
> The answers I get increase my understanding of whatever the topic is.
>
> Thanks in advance for helping a tyro.

So lets try to sort out what happened here. I will go though what I
think the situation is(with additional questions), you correct me if I
am wrong.

1) You are using a Mac.
      What version of OS X?
    How did you install the old version/new version of Postgres?

2) You where running Postgres 9.2 and then you uninstalled that package.
    Under Postgres 9.2 everything worked.

3) You installed the Postgres 9.3 server package.

4) You installed pgAdmin 1.18.1

5) You are trying to run Postgres 9.3 over a 9.2 data directory.

This should serve to start us out.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com