Re: Re: [RFC] Shouldn't we remove annoying FATAL messages from server log? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Re: [RFC] Shouldn't we remove annoying FATAL messages from server log?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/06/2013 03:02 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Heck, I'd be happy just to have a class of messages which specifically
> means "OMG, there's something wrong with the server", that is, a flag
> for messages which only occur when PostgreSQL encounters a bug, data
> corrpution, or platform error.  Right now, I have to suss those out by
> regex.

+10

That's what I really need to see in the logs, too.

Using SQLState might be reasonable, but I'd be concerned we'd find cases
where the same standard-specififed SQLState should be sent to the
*client*, despite different underlying causes for the server of
different levels of DBA concern.

I'd rather not suppress logging of user-level errors, etc; they're
important too. It's just necessary to be able to separate them from
internal errors that should never happen when the system is operating
correctly in order to do effective log-based alerting.

After all, I *don't* want to get an SMS whenever the deadlock detector
kicks in and someone's created a database in de_DE so the string pattern
match doesn't kick in.