Re: Wildcard usage enhancements in .pgpass - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Wildcard usage enhancements in .pgpass
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/17/13, 1:56 PM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> Looks interesting, though I wonder if you could use fnmatch(3) here. Or
> woud that match more than you expect?  For example, it would allow
> 'foo*bar' to match 'foo.bar' which your code doesn't.

The question is whether you'd want that.

We had previously considered using fnmatch() for wildcard matching of
host names in certificates and ended up deciding against that.  It would
be worth checking that old thread.  It would also be good if the pgpass
wildcard matching were somehow consistent with certificates, since they
are both somewhat related security features.