Re: Why we are going to have to go DirectIO - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Why we are going to have to go DirectIO
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/04/2013 07:32 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

> On 12/04/2013 04:30 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> On 12/4/13, 2:14 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>>> running a
>>> few kvm instances that get bootstrapped automatically is something that
>>> is a solved problem.
>>
>> Is it sound to run performance tests on kvm?
>
> as sounds as on any other platform imho, the performance characteristics
> will differ between bare metal or other virtualisation platforms but the
> future is virtual and that is what a lot of stuff runs on...

In actuality you need both. We need to know what the kernel is going to
do on bare metal. For example, 3.2 to 3.8 are total crap for random IO
access. We will only catch that properly from bare metal tests or at
least, we will only catch it easily on bare metal tests.

If we know the standard bare metal tests are working then the next step
up would be to test virtual.

BTW: Virtualization is only one future and it is still a long way off
from serving the needs that bare metal serves at the same level
(speaking PostgreSQL specifically).

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579