Re: Dynamic configuration via LDAP in postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Dynamic configuration via LDAP in postmaster
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/03/2013 05:44 PM, Vasily Soshnikov wrote:
> I need advise about where is best place for adding such features.
>
> Currently I found that 'postmaster' have event loop(including handling
> SIGHUP) inside PostgressMain(postgress.c)  for realoding configuration
> file, based on my investigation my plan is handling ldap events just before
> SIGHUP.
>
> PS I guess tomorrow I will start implement this feature inside
> 'postmaster', but before I start I wish to know expert opinion about where
> are most good place for dispatching of incomming messages(about
> configuration has changed etc) from the ldap.

postmaster is kept very small on purpose, because if that process dies,
it will take the whole server down with it. I'd suggest writing a custom
background worker that talks with the ldap server. It can then write the
changes to the configuration files, and send SIGHUP to reload.

- Heikki