Skip hole in log_newpage - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Skip hole in log_newpage
Date
Re: Skip hole in log_newpage
Re: Skip hole in log_newpage
List pgsql-hackers
The log_newpage function, used to WAL-log a full copy of a page, is
missing the trick we normally use for full-page images to leave out the
unused space on the block. That's pretty trivial to implement, so we should.

The place where this matters the most is when building a new B-tree
index. When wal_level > minimal, all pages in the created index are
logged with log_newpage, and by default we leave 10% free space on index
pages. So implementing this reduces the amount of WAL generated by index
creation by roughly 10%.

Anyone see a problem with this?

- Heikki

Attachment