Re: Inserting boolean types as an alias? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Inserting boolean types as an alias?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/02/2013 03:46 PM, Nick wrote:
> Hello I am new to this site and also a student. I am working on an assignment
> and was wondering if there is a way to make an alias for a boolean? For
> example when I am making a table called club_games and it must contain the
> memberID, gameID, count, and status as column fields. When I enter the data
> for status I want it to say either "unavailable" for false and "available"
> for true. but I don't know how to do that.
> This is what I have currently for the line that I am specifically talking
> about:
>
> INSERT INTO club_Games(memberID, gameID, hardwareID, count, status)
>      VALUES    ((SELECT memberID FROM members WHERE name = 'Fred Flinstone'),
> (SELECT gameID FROM games WHERE name = 'Jurrasic Park'), NULL, 1, 'true');
>
> when I do the SELECT * FROM club_Games this is my output:
>
> id     gameid        memberid      hardwareid            count
> status
> 1   12345zzzzz       A12345           <null>               1
>
> Where it says t for status I wanted it to say available but mean true for
> boolean, but I don't know how to do that. Thanks to all for help.

If the field has to be a boolean, then alias it on the select:

select case when status = 't' then 'available' else 'unavailable' end
from club_Games

otherwise make status a text field and just enter 'available' or
'unavailable'

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com