Re: Full Stored Procedure Support, any time soon ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Full Stored Procedure Support, any time soon ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/30/2013 12:17 PM, Noel Diaz wrote:

My firm is considering a very large move from PAID RDBMS to Postgresql.
The lack of full support for Stored Procedures is currently a deal breaker.

We use many features, like:
- output parameters
Callable statements to call the procs
- Multiple result sets
- nested procedure calls

Is there in the *near* future the possibility of adding support for these?

we're doing much the same, moving from that big O to Postgres,  but we opted to STOP using stored procedures and instead reimplement our core business logic as a middleware service (which happens to be in Java but really could be in most any language that has decent database and messaging and/or RPC support).   we find its a lot easier to debug the middleware than complex problems buried deep in stored procedures.    We still use SOME postgres functions, for performance optimization, triggers (for partitioning) and so forth, but we don't have the bulk of our business logic there.    the client applications are not allowed ANY database access, they have to go through the middleware.