Re: Temp rows - is it possible? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Temp rows - is it possible?
Date
Re: Temp rows - is it possible?  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> We recently decided we had to forbid foreign-key references from temp
>> tables to permanent tables because of this effect.  I wonder whether
>> we won't end up forbidding temp tables as children of permanent tables
>> too.

> Yep, I think we will have to do that.  TODO item?

Plan B would be to arrange for the planner to ignore temp tables of
other backends whenever it is searching for child tables.  Then the
behavior would be predictable: you never see any rows inserted in other
people's temp child tables (and cannot update or delete 'em, either).
I'm not sure if this is the behavior the OP wanted, but it seems at
least marginally useful.

            regards, tom lane