Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #7873: pg_restore --clean tries to drop tables that don't exist - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #7873: pg_restore --clean tries to drop tables that don't exist
Date
Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #7873: pg_restore --clean tries to drop tables that don't exist  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/21/13, 2:35 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> I am feeling, so almost all people prefer
>
> DROP TRIGGER [ IF EXISTS ] name ON table_name [ CASCADE | RESTRICT ];
>
> Can we live with it?

Fine with me.

I think it helps if you consider IF EXISTS an attribute of the command,
not an attribute of the command parameters.

Now we should be aware that this sort of sets a precedent for ALTER
TABLE IF EXISTS ... DROP ANYTHING ... and similar composite commands.

If might be worth checking other SQL databases.  We stole the IF EXISTS
from somewhere, I believe.