Re: clang's static checker report. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Grzegorz Jaskiewicz
Subject Re: clang's static checker report.
Date
List pgsql-hackers

http://zlew.org/postgresql_static_check/scan-build-2009-08-30-4/report-7JaICX.html#EndPath

> Yes, it's bogus.  ctid is never passed as NULL.  It might point at
> an "invalid" itempointer (one with ip_posid == 0).  Look at the only
> call site.

so why do we check if the pointer is valid ?

> This seems to indicate that clang is stupider than I would have hoped.
> Isn't it capable of doing the same types of analysis that gcc does
> when inlining?

well, it is usable, but that doesn't mean complete. That's why I am
trying to work both ways to provide some info to clang-checker devs,
and you guys - with the reports it generates.
on the side note, xcode in snow leopard uses it under the hood to do
'build & analyze', and it helped me to locate few potential issues in
my iphone code. Now, of course my code is times less complicated than
postgresql's, but still - it is potentially useful.