Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix whitespace issues found by git diff --check, add gitattribut - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix whitespace issues found by git diff --check, add gitattribut
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/11/13, 10:26 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Fix whitespace issues found by git diff --check, add gitattributes
>> Set per file type attributes in .gitattributes to fine-tune whitespace
>> checks.  With the associated cleanups, the tree is now clean for git
>
> Hmm, I thought the .gitattributes file would prevent this:
>
> $ git diff --staged --check
> src/test/regress/expected/join.out:3110: trailing whitespace.
> + q1 | q2 | f1 | ff
>
> Is there something I have to do to configure git to honor the file?
>
> (In case it matters, this is git 1.7.1, which is what Red Hat is
> shipping these days in RHEL6.)

Older versions of git (before 1.8.2) do not support the "**" syntax used
here:

**/expected/*.out                       -whitespace

If we're slightly daring, we could change this to just

*.out   -whitespace

and analogously for the other entries, but I haven't fully analyzed that.