Re: Changing pg_dump default file format - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Changing pg_dump default file format
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/07/2013 08:26 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>>> I humbly request on behalf of those who manage production postgresql
>>> instances that we change the default backup file format from -Fp to -Fc.
>
>> I'm a bit worried about it breaking peoples scripts as well, if they
>> pipe the output.
>
> Whether they pipe the output or not, this will break people's scripts.
> I agree it's a legacy behavior that we wouldn't choose again, but you
> could say that about an awful lot of things including much of the SQL
> standard.  I think it's too late to consider this now.

We have certainly done worse in the past. 8.3 comes to mind. I am trying
to consider the future here, as we continue to grow. Why leave thorns
for the sake of leaving thorns?

Note:

Perfectly happy to spit out a, "NOTICE: The default format of pg_dump
will be changing in release X" for a release.

Joshua D. Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc