Re: Changing pg_dump default file format - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Changing pg_dump default file format
Date
Re: Changing pg_dump default file format  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> I humbly request on behalf of those who manage production postgresql
>> instances that we change the default backup file format from -Fp to -Fc.

> I'm a bit worried about it breaking peoples scripts as well, if they
> pipe the output.

Whether they pipe the output or not, this will break people's scripts.
I agree it's a legacy behavior that we wouldn't choose again, but you
could say that about an awful lot of things including much of the SQL
standard.  I think it's too late to consider this now.