Re: Changing pg_dump default file format - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Changing pg_dump default file format
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/07/2013 11:02 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For as long as I can remember I have heard complaints about the fact
> that pg_dump doesn't use a backup format that is supported by the
> pg_restore program. At every single talk that I give that talks about
> pg_dump, the people in the majority of the audience agrees that this
> is rather silly and a barrier to usability.
>
> The only counter argument I have heard is that it adds an extra step
> for developers to get the SQL that generates a database. That to me is
> a weak argument as pg_dump is a production/admin too, first, not a
> developer tool.
>
> I humbly request on behalf of those who manage production postgresql
> instances that we change the default backup file format from -Fp to -Fc.

At least it gives you a nice message now instead of the rather cryptic
message it used to give:
   [andrew@emma inst.5715]$ bin/pg_dump -f foo.sql   [andrew@emma inst.5715]$ bin/pg_restore foo.sql   pg_restore:
[archiver]input file appears to be a text format dump.   Please use psql.

cheers

andrew