Re: How to fix lost synchronization with server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: How to fix lost synchronization with server
Date
List pgsql-general
"Andrus" <kobruleht2@hot.ee> writes:
>> Given this is an upgrade, though the specifics were omitted, is there some
>> possibility of a pg_dump/server version mis-match being the cause.  I could
>> see where a 32-bit client connecting to a 64bit server could possible
>> exhibit apparent memory-related issues.

> pg_dump is 32-bit version. pg_dump -V returns
> pg_dump (PostgreSQL) 9.3.0

> Can this cause the issue ?

Hm.  It wouldn't *cause* the issue, but certainly a 32-bit pg_dump would
have lots less headroom if there were a memory bloat problem.

I looked back at the previous thread you mentioned (bug #7914) and was
reminded that we never did understand what was going on in that report.
I'm not sure if you are seeing the same thing though.  That user reported
that he was able to see pg_dump's memory consumption bloating well beyond
what it ought to be (I suppose he was watching the process in whatever
Windows' equivalent of ps or top is).  Do you see that?

If there is a memory leakage type issue involved then it's less surprising
that a request for a "mere" 6MB would fail --- once we've leaked enough
memory, it's certainly gonna fail at some point.  This doesn't get us much
closer to understanding the problem though.

            regards, tom lane